Treadmill is one of the home and gym devices suitable for fitness. One of the benefits of this device is that it can be used for beginners and advanced level. But the question that is usually asked is whether the treadmill helps to lose weight or not?
Does the Treadmill help you lose weight?
As we said in the article “Cardio benefits“, cardio exercises, such as exercises that can be performed with a Treadmill, help burn fat in several ways. Walking or running on a Treadmill leads to an increase in blood circulation, an increase in the amount of calories burned, an increase in the insulin sensitivity, and an increase in lipolysis. if you want to lose weight with Treadmill you should follow these rules.
How many calories do you burn on Treadmill
As we said, one of the Treadmill benefits is calorie burning. How many calories you burn on Treadmill depends on several different factors such as your weight, training intensity, training duration, etc. For example:
- A 70 kg person burns about 240 calories by brisk walking on a Treadmill at a speed of 6 km/h for 30 minutes.
- A 60 kg person burns about 120 calories by running on a Treadmill at a speed of 7 km/h for 15 minutes.
- An 80-kilogram person burns about 350 calories by running on a treadmill at a speed of 7 km/h for 30 minutes.
How to lose weight with Treadmill?
Losing weight with a treadmill is easy and anyone can do it easily. But if you want to lose weight faster, you must use the following principles:
Prepare yourself before workout
If pre-workout preparation is not done, the risk of injury increases. On the other hand, you may get tired sooner and not be able to achieve the goals you set for workout.
One of the essential preparations before exercising with a treadmill is warming up. You need to increase your heart rate and prepare your joints for exercise. To warm up, it is better to walk on the treadmill at a low speed first, then increase the speed a little, so that your heart rate and muscles are ready for exercise. It is better to warm up for at least 5 minutes.
Another preparation for workout is mental preparation! It is better to think about your goals before training. You should know how hard and how long you are going to train in this training session. In this situation, you can train in the best possible way.
Best ways to lose weight with Treadmill
There are many variations of treadmill exercise. That’s why most people can safely use this device. You can use one of the following methods according to your goal, physical level and time. It is not recommended for beginners to use advanced methods for faster results. Because any excessive pressure leads to injury or overtraining.
Low-intensity steady-state cardio on Treadmill
The first way to lose weight with a treadmill is low-intensity steady-state cardio on Treadmill. In a study, it was shown that low-intensity exercise combined with a calorie-restricted diet led to significant weight loss. So, if you are a beginner or do not have the ability to train with high intensity, you can easily use this method.
For example, you can walk fast on the treadmill for 30 to 45 minutes at a speed of 5 to 6 kilometers per hour. Or you can slightly increase the speed and run on the treadmill for 20 to 40 minutes.
The important thing about this method is that you need to increase the intensity of the exercise from time to time. When you feel that the duration of training or walking speed is not challenging for you, you should increase them so that your progress does not stop.
Incline Treadmill workout
Another effective way to lose weight with a treadmill is incline Treadmill workout. With this method, you will significantly increase calorie burning. Do not use your hands for help during incline walking or running.
An 80 kg person can burn about 450 calories in 30 minutes with a 12% incline and a speed of 7 km/h. This amount is about 100 calories more than 0 incline Treadmill running. You can determine the slope and speed according to your fitness level. It is better for those who suffer from knee pain not to use incline Treadmill workout.
High intensity interval training
It can be said that this method is the best way to lose weight with a treadmill. If you use this method, you will significantly increase calorie burning and fat burning. In a research, it was shown that high intensity training in 12 weeks can lead to significant weight loss.
Various methods are suggested for using interval exercises, which we will discuss below:
- First, walk at a slow speed for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then run for 20 seconds at a low speed. Then walk for 40 seconds at a moderate pace and repeat this for 6 to 10 sets.
- The second method is more intense. First, run at a low speed for about 5 to 10 minutes, then run at a medium or high speed for 20 seconds. Then run for 40 seconds at a slow speed. Repeat this for 6 to 10 sets.
- The third method is by using incline treadmill. After warming up, you can walk for 2 minutes with a 12% incline, then do this for one minute with a zero incline.
Add variety with other cardio exercises
As we said in the article “best cardio exercises for weight loss“, it is better to use different cardio exercises to get better results. By doing this, you increase the variety of your workout and you can increase the intensity after a while. One of the reasons for the weight loss plateau is the constant intensity of the exercises. After a while, you can use other exercises such as jumping rope, butterfly, burpee, etc. to increase the intensity of the training.
Prevent muscle loss
One of the disadvantages of cardio exercises is muscle loss. Those who follow calorie deficit diets and only do cardio exercises are exposed to muscle loss. Muscle loss can slow down metabolism and lead to weight loss plateaus.
To prevent this from happening, you must follow some important rules:
- The first solution is resistance training. Body weight training, weight training, TRX, etc. are among the best exercises to prevent severe muscle loss.
- The second solution is to increase the protein intake in the diet. It is better to use protein-rich foods such as chicken breast, cheese, Greek yogurt, salmon, tuna, lentils, etc. Enough protein intake can prevent muscle loss very well.
- The third solution is to get enough calories. Many men and women drastically reduce their calorie intake to lose weight fast. You may experience rapid weight loss to begin with, but after a while, you will reach a weight loss plateau. The main reason for this, is muscle loss and reduced metabolism. So it is better to get enough calories.
Follow a calorie deficit diet to lose weight with Treadmill
The most important tip to lose weight is to follow a calorie deficit diet. Almost all researchers agree that the only way to significantly lose weight is through a calorie deficit diet. High-intensity training without dieting may be able to produce some weight loss, but for significant changes, you must follow a proper diet. Try to eat a lot of protein and fiber in your diet, drink more water and get enough sleep and rest.